The student news site of Jefferson Junior High School

The Prophet

School (Skool) n. 1. an institution for creating stress in teens.

How School is negatively affecting our teens through stress.

Andrew Osepek

5:30 pm

Page 322, #1-50 evens. Read LA worksheet. Study for SAT in 2 weeks. Write essay on Syrian refugees. Respond to Kevin in Canvas.

7:00 pm

9:00 pm

9:30 pm

11:00 pm

When the last of the assignments were cleared, Jill Key sighed in relief.  She left her room and went down stairs to eat dinner.

”’The last two years in high school have been the most stressful for me and my friends,’ [Hannah Stone}…says. ‘We have to do everything and be perfect for colleges and we have a big workload. Most of the time we talk about how stress we are. (Sharon Jayson 1)’”

Hannah was seventeen when she was surveyed in the American Psychological Association’s (APA’s) 2013 online survey. Hannah was a high school student in Portsmouth, Ohio. During her time in high school, Hannah was faced with many stressful obstacles. Hannah is an example of one of many teens who suffers from stress. Stress is experienced in many teens across the nation due to school pressure and daily assignments. While stress is common, how to deal with it isn’t. These teens don’t know how to handle the increasing amount of stress on themselves, so it creates a negative effect on their physical and mental health.

Andrew 2School pressure is one of the major contributors to stress, Jefferson Junior High School Counselor, Stacy Anderson explains. A
s competition in the classroom has risen in recent years, teens are pushing themselves to outperform one another and with colleges looking at individual’s academic achievements, teens are fighting for their spot in the future. CBS writer, Lynn O’Shaughnessy states, “If you think the college application is stressful enough now, dozens of the country’s most elite colleges and universities want teenagers to start earnestly focusing on applications as early as freshman year.(1)” While most teens in the past start worrying about collegAndrew 3e they’re going to attend in their junior or senior year, the person who sits around all day on their phone is now pressured at age fifteen to be focusing on colleges. This becomes stressful to most teens as teens future life

decisions come upon them quickly.

As colleges look at many academic achievements teens accomplish, your GPA (Grade Point Average) is an important factor for teen’s admission. Teen’s GPA shows their “hard work, self-discipline, and consistency” PowerScore explains. It is hard work for sure. Allie Bidwell, US news writer says, “High school students get assigned up to 17.5 hours of homework per week… (1)” It doesn’t become any easier when teens are faced with a great amount of homework and after school activities. As a result, this becomes over whelming or stressful to many teens.

With the high amounts of stress put on teens, teens are beginning to cope with stress in an unhealthy fashion. To show, the APA’s online study and the American Heart Association reported some of the many unhealthy behaviors teen take to relieve stress.

• Teens spend long amounts of time online. The APA recorded in their 2013 study that teens who told of high stress levels said they spend 3.2 hours a day online.

• Skipping meals

• Exercise very little or not at all

• Eat unhealthy foods

• Eat continuously

• Substance abuse

• Sleep too little or sleep too much

• Work too much

• Push things off
Andrew 4

Psychiatrist (right) talks to teen (left) to help her cope with stress.

Experts believe these teens will carry their unhealthy stress coping habits into their adulthood. Thus, people have stepped up to try and stop this from happening or exceeding in the future, such as American Psychological Association CEO and Executive Vice President, Norman B. Andresen.  Mr. Andersen believes that to stop these bad habits we as a nation need to provide these teens with better support. This support might include something as simple as talking positively about them. Something as simple as that can make the victim of stress feel a whole lot better. However, sometimes it isn’t as simple as saying reassuring words. Teens might need an expert such as a counselor or psychiatrist to help cope with their amount of stress. In contrast, teens can start realizing mental and physical health problems if they don’t take action on coping with their stress.

A major mental illness connected to stress is depression. Depression is an illness that makes its subject loose interest in activities. Anxiety is another mental illness connected to stress, Stacy Anderson describes. Anxiety is a feeling of worriness, nervousness, or unease. While stress impacts teens health’s in a negative way, stress can also lead to other health problems.

Physical health problems can arise based on how each teen deals with stress. Teens who sit around online eating junk food can easily generate physical health problems for themselves. With the poor exercise amounts and the unhealthy eating decisions, this person can quickly have health problems skyrocket. Health problems might include, heart disease and being overweight/underweight.

School stress is hurting our physical and mental health based on recent studies and research. With all the work and pressure school puts on teen’s lives, teens are not able to cope with stress in a healthy fashion. As a result, experts believe these teens will bring their unhealthy coping habits into their adulthood which could cause further health problems such as depression, anxiety, and heart disease. In the end, while we might try and prevent stress, stress from the school environment will mostly increase in the future Stacy Anderson states.

Work Cited:

“ACT vs. GPA.” PowerScore Test Preparation. Powerscore Act Preperation, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

“American Psychological Association Survey Shows Teen Stress Rivals That of Adults.” American Psychological Association. APA, 11 Feb. 2014. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Anderson, Stacy. Telephone interview. 12 Oct. 2015.

Bidwell, Allie. “Students Spend More Time on Homework but Teachers Say It’s Worth It.” US News. U.S.News & World Report, 27 Feb. 2014. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Depressed teen in therapy. Digital image. How to Parent a Teen. WordPress, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2015. <https://howtoparentateen.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/depressed_teen_in_therapy_1.jpg>.

Girl on Phone. Digital image. Redirect Notice. TIME, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2015. <https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAYQjB1qFQoTCKmfzOaj4cgCFYNKJgod6ykB3w&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbusiness.time.com%2F2012%2F09%2F14%2Fshould-you-use-your-smartphone-to-track-your-kids%2F&psig=AFQjCNFLE-ScZec6l8UHmFA9k4-mqNCaYg&ust=1445988152272797>.

“How Does Stress Affect You.” American Heart Association, 20 July 2014. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Jayson, Sharon. “Teens Feeling Stressed, and Many Not Managing It Well.” USA Today, 11 Feb. 2014. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Late night Homework. Digital image. Globe University. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2015. <http://www.globeuniversity.edu/blogs/wp-

Morales, Myra. “Stress and Anxiety.” Stress and Anxiety. CalmClinic, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.

Most Commonly reported sources of stress for teens. Digital image. Parents Take Charge with Dr. Sandy Gluckman. Parents Take Charge, 31 Dec. 2014. Web. 27 Oct. 2015. <http://www.parentstakecharge.com/2014/12/31/my-2015-prediction-what-parents-can-do-about-this/>.

Neighmond, Patti. “School Stress Takes A Toll On Health, Teens And Parents Say.” NPR. NPR, 2 Dec. 2013. Web. 26 Oct. 2015.